Jobs at Hobby Engineering
About Hobby Engineering Hobby Engineering is a small, family owned and operated business located in Millbrae, California. Hobby Engineering opened its web site in December 2002 and has been growing by leaps and bounds to become a leading supplier of robotic and electronic supplies for hobbyist, students and researchers. We are now in our third physical location with a 2000 square foot warehouse and a 700 square foot retail store on a busy shopping thoroughfare.
We are always looking for good people who can contribute to Hobby Engineering and to our community.
At this time we are seeking to fill the following specific positions:
Retail Store / Customer Service Associate This position is responsible for computer processing of Internet orders and for helping customers make purchases in the store and on the phone. You will need to learn a little bit about our entire product line but will be primarily responsible for products aimed at students through middle school.
We have a great deal of flexibility in duties, hours and salary. If you can help introduce our products to students, parents and schools we want to hear from you. This could be a great part-time job for a student working toward a credential in math or science education or for a retired teacher or engineer looking for some income and a way to get involved in the community. We are also interested in hearing from educational marketing specialists looking for a career position.
- You must have a friendly, outgoing personality.
- You must like math, science, engineering and crafts and have a missionary zeal about getting kids to care about these subjects.
- You must have excellent written and oral communications skills.
- Fluency in Spanish would be a big plus.
- You must want to learn about our products and have the ability to quickly develop an excellent, hands-on working knowledge about our products aimed at students age 12 and younger.
- You must have excellent computer and typing skills.
Shipping / Receiving Associate This position is responsible for receiving incoming inventory, inspecting and packaging it for sale and packing outgoing shipments for customers.
We are currently looking for two associates who are able to work 12 to 20 hours per week each. Our greatest needs are in the afternoon and early in the week. This is a great job for a college student. We will do our best to accommodate schedule changes each semester but generally have a fixed schedule from week to week. Our busiest time of the year coincides with fall semester finals at most schools so we need students who plan ahead to stay current with studies so they can continue to work steadily during the holiday season. We offer a very competitive hourly wage and performance bonuses.
- Ability to read and comprehend detailed operating procedures.
- Ability to perform repetitive tasks quickly and with a high degree of accuracy.
- Ability to work with a minimum of supervision.
- Ability to work while standing for most of the work shift.
- Ability to lift boxes weighing up to thirty pounds without assistance and to move boxes weighing up to seventy-five pounds with a hand-truck.
How To Apply We accept initial applications by email only. The body of your email should be your cover letter and should clearly identify the job you are seeking, your availability and your salary requirements. Most importantly, it must also indicate why you want the job and summarize the skills and experience that qualify you for the job.
You must make your best case for considering your application in the body of the email. We will not open any attachments, including resumes, unless the email body convinces us to take your application to the second level of review. You will only hear from us if we decide to schedule an interview.
Email your application to